Monday 24 August 2015

3 Years In...Things My Healthy Hair Journey Has Taught Me

Hey Doves!

I clocked about three years of healthy hair journeying in around June this year. I can't remember the exact date. Here are some things i've learned along the way.

1. It's NOT a competition

At the beginning of your journey, you really get that "if i'm not at armpit length by december because me and Carrie started at the same time... and she's just passed shoulder length, i'll die" feeling. However we often forget  a few things; you and another lady on a hhj have different hair types, with different likes and dislikes. As always mentioned, no two heads of hair are the same. I've learned to focus on my individual journey, even if it means I will reach waist length in 2019 after how many setbacks and trials. What matters is getting back on the wagon and aiming for healthy hair and the length goal I have in mind. And celebrate other women's hair who are at a later stage of the journey. They give you extra motivation to continue.


2. Stick to what you know

Last year was the year of super experimentation. Although I retained length, there was a bit too much of this and that product. I can only safely pin point at wigging for my length retention. Also the inner product junkie in me really ate at my pocket lol. One does not have to join every  band wagon that comes along, or every new product in sight. Your hair might turn for the worse. I'm lucky mine didn't.

3. I can do anything I discipline myself to achieve

This journey has taught me to be consistent with my hair, treating it regularly, trimming as needed, protective styling and loving it. The amount of dedication i've put into this shows me that I can do anything with a little discipline and consistency. Applying the same discipline and consistency to ANY other area of my life will give me just a good results , if not better.

4. Healthy hair will definitely make you want to take better care of the rest of your body

Natural hair journey got me into fitness and beauty. I now not only take care of my hair, but  ensure my skin and body are also on point. I don't know if you have noticed the same, but getting into healthy hair makes you want to do an "everything healthy journey". Three years ago It was a miracle to find me doing squats or lunges. Or ensuring I exercise at  least twice a week, or drinking at least 1.5 litres of water a day. Now i've reached that point where my body tells me "go and shake a tail feather...or drink up! "

Beside these points, the being on a hhj has affected my life in other ways.

I'm more confident, moving around town with a great hair do just does wonders for me. Not only that, i've become super proud of my hair and have developed a deep appreciation for the the diversity and beauty of African hair whether relaxed or natural. There is so much one can do with it, bantu knots, twist outs, braid outs, halo twists and more. No one can tell me black is ugly or hard or unmanageable. I've seen it grow to beautiful lengths and look great at ANY length. That's the beauty of this journey, it opens your eyes to the reality that African hair is versatile, manageable, presentable and gorgeous!

I've inspired others..not just through the blog, but now I get people coming up to me asking how they can make their hair look good. And it just warms my heart to be able to help another achieve healthy hair. The HHJ helps you help others :-)

How has your healthy hair journey affected your life?

5 comments:

  1. Congrats!! I relaxed my hair after 2 year going natural. You hair is wonderful you must be really proud :)

    www.DianeFnk.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! It's really a journey that requires a ton of patience

    ReplyDelete
  3. i agree with u particularly on the healthy everything and the "its not a competition" part! ive stopped obsessing over hair length. i just try to do what i can abeg.
    www.folasoasis.com

    ReplyDelete

I love hearing from you! Feel free to drop a comment.