Wednesday 7 May 2014

Oil it up! Oil rinsing

 From my last post, i got quite a number of questions about what exactly oil rinsing is. So i'll talk about that in this post.

Oil rinsing is when you apply an oil to your hair during the washing process to lock in the moisture. Basically you gently use the pads of your fingers to apply the oil to your hair from root to tip.

 It can be done in three ways:
1. After you shampoo but before you condition, you apply the oil to the hair. cover with a plastic cap for 5 to 20 mins, then rinse out and condition
2.Apply the oil over your conditioner, cover with a plastic cap and proceed to condition as normal
3. After you rinse out the conditioner, apply the oil, leave in a shower cap for 5 to 20 mins. Rinse then proceed with the rest of your wash day routine.


What oils can  you use
Basically any oil such as castor oil, coconut oil, sunflower oil (yes, the one you use to cook!!), palm oil, grapeseed oil, olive oil...the list is endless. I have even used vatika oil and my hair came out mwah! Do be careful if using oils such as peppermint, lavender, rosemary or ylang ylang. These are potent (strong) and need to be used in diluted form. They are actually refered to as essential oils. So add a drop or two to your castor or sunflower oil.

Why i loooooove oil rinsing
Oil rinsing helps to lock in the moisture cause the oils provides an extra layer which locks in the moisture . So it helps hair to stay moisturised for longer. I can go longer periods without having to moisturise my hair when i do an oil rinse because the hair is so soft and still has moisture days after wash day. Which is why I love it for the winter :-). Also detangling and manageability of the hair is easier because of the lubrication (slip) the oil provides. It helps to eliminate single strand knots. These are knots that the hair forms on itself. Plus two thumbs up for softer, shinier and smoother hair.


Grapeseed oil. 


How i do it
When  I do an oil rinse I shampoo, rinse, then apply my deep conditioner. Once i've applied it, I slather my fingers in oil and start running my hands over my hair to coat it. Plastic grocery bag on ( i like to use them, so convenient and they don't go to waste, yay me!) and continue with my deep conditioning session. When im done rinsing it out, im so tempted to not apply my  leave in products cause my hair is sooo soft and fluffy :-)
The lovely Vatika oil :-) I love this for oil rinsing!!













                                                          

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love hearing from you! Feel free to drop a comment.